As time is approaching to start work on my thriller opening it only seems right to do a few last minute research into what makes a good thriller.
A good thriller movie is one which includes a majority of the below components;
1) Creating a sense and scene of danger:
A good thriller needs to have a central main character ( protagonist) who finds themselves in danger. Often the plot of a thriller will seek to isolate the protagonist from the world around them, to the extent that we get to learn much more about them and the problems/difficulties that they are faced with, from their feelings and expressions.
2) Remebering the importance of pace:
To make a good thriller movie , you need to ensure that it’s fast paced throughout. For example very often, the beginning of a thriller wastes no time in putting the protagonist in a dilemma this enables the audience to relate to their situation immediately.
3) Getting the balance of power right:Another important aspect of thriller movies is to ensure that the villain or antagonist always has the balance of power shifted in their favour for the vast majority of the film. The whole idea being to draw the audience in to the struggles the protagonist needs to try to overcome and to get the audience on the protagonist’s side. Therefore, the villain must always be one step ahead up to the point of climax when the power shifts and the villain is eventually defeated.
4) Remembering the twists and turns:Good thrillers try to lure the audience in to a false sense of security. They should be written from the point of view of taking the audience on a journey where they’re not sure where they are going. Scenes which build to a point where the audience thinks they know what to expect but then the scene dramatically switches to an unforeseen outcome will maintain the suspense and tension.
5) Character growth:Another important aspect of thriller writing is to ensure that the audience gets to know and understand all of the weaknesses and fears in the protagonist’s character but as they come to overcome the challenges they’re presented with, the film or video must also reflect their strength and determination, At the same time, it’s also important to expose the antagonist’s weaknesses and now their own fears as the balance of power shifts and good triumphs over evil. Quite often with good thrillers, the good eventually does win.
Keeping in mind of all the above components i will try my best to ensure that my thriller opening relates/ ticks all the neccesary elements to produce a good thriller opening.